Upgrade Your Heating System with Help from the Boiler Upgrade Scheme
Is your home heated by an older, inefficient fossil fuel or electric heating system? The Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) provides grants to help homeowners replace these polluting heat sources with more eco-friendly air-source heat pumps, ground-source heat pumps, or biomass boilers.
What Size Grants Are Available?
Installations completed before October 23, 2023, can qualify for up to:
• £5,000 off air source heat pumps
• £6,000 off-ground source heat pumps
• £5,000 off biomass boilers
Installations done after October 23, 2023, have increased grant amounts:
• £7,500 off air source heat pumps
• £7,500 off-ground source heat pumps
• £5,000 off biomass boiler
Who Qualifies for BUS Funding?
The scheme is open to most residential properties in England and Wales, with a few exceptions. New builds do not qualify, but self-builds by the homeowners can be eligible. Among the requirements is to have a recent Energy Performance Certificate and no outstanding recommendations for loft insulation or cavity wall insulation from the previous 10 years.
How Does the Grant Process Work?
The scheme uses an installer-led model, meaning the steps are:
- You choose an MCS-certified installation company.
- The installer submits a BUS application on your behalf.
- Ofgem contacts you to confirm consent to the application.
- Once approved, the installer completes the installation within 3-6 months.
- The installer claims the grant money from Ofgem after you have the new system.
The grant value gets deducted from your project quote upfront, so you as the homeowner receive the discount. Installers can withdraw and resubmit applications if needed so you get the best grant amount.
Interested in Making the Switch?
Contact our team today to learn more about converting to an eco-friendly heating system with BUS funding. We help homeowners through every step of the process, from installation applications to grant claims.